Friday, February 3, 2012

Weigh to Health, Day One


Several weeks ago, I found out about a class offered by Select Health (my health insurance company) called Weigh to Health. They offer a series of either 12 group classes or 5 individual classes on weigh management. It costs $225 up front--but if you go to all of the classes within 6 months, they reimburse you for the full cost. I figured I didn't have anything to loose, so I called to sign up. Their earliest appointments were over a month out. I scheduled the first available one.

The dietician, Jillian (no, not THE Jillian) came to greet me at the volunteer desk and then walked with me down the stairs to her office in the belly of Intermountain Medical Center. I found it fitting that the trek from the entrance to her office involves multiple flights of stairs. Good planning for the overweight folks who are coming to visit.

I'll admit, when I first saw her my impression was--"This girl is a petite little size 2. What does she know about weight loss?" But then I had to tell myself to stop trying to sabotage the plan. She was very nice, friendly, realistic, and helpful. I'm glad she's going to help me on this journey.

Sometimes I really believe that we are the biggest barriers to our own success. I'll tell myself things that I would never in a hundred million years say to someone else. That has to change.

My favorite part of the visit was that she gave me hope that things can change. For some reason I had envisioned in the back of my mind that she would say--"Nope! You can't do this. You're fat and you've always been fat. Go back to wherever it was you came from. It's hopeless. Give up now." Of course no paid professional would ever say that, but that's what I said to myself. Now, there's a glimmer of hope that things can change. Thank you Jillian.

One thing we talked about was coming up with non-food rewards. So, after my appointment, I went with Pilo to get a pedicure. It was the second time in my life that I have had a pedicure, and they did an amazingly good job. My feet feel heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment