Monday, August 29, 2011

Equipment for Exercising, part 1


In order to feel comfortable with exercising, you need to have the right equipment. Unfortunately, true workout clothing for plus-size women is difficult to find. I wish it weren't so. If anyone could benefit from well-fitting workout clothes, it's the women who are overweight, not those who are already a size negative 4. The mentality out there seems to be "Here! You're fat. Toss on a shirt that is three sizes too big and then a pair of pants guaranteed to make you too hot. Underneath all that, try an ill-fitting sports bra that will guarantee lots of bouncing. Have fun!"

I've been able to find a few things that have helped my exercising go much more smoothly. I share them in the hope that they will help you too. Now, I realize that it is expensive to renovate your wardrobe. You don't have to buy these things. However, if you have a birthday coming up or a reason to celebrate--how about suggesting one of these as a gift?
  1. Enell Sports Bra.This bra is amazing. Really. I had no idea it was possible to run and not have some degree of uncomfortable bounciness. They come in sizes from 32C to 52DD. If your size is out of that range, they make custom ones too! When you first put it on it will be tight. Incredibly tight. You'll have no idea it was possible for your chest to look so flat. Make sure you do the hooks from the bottom up. Then, take a moment and realize that you really can still breathe. Move side to side, jump up and down--no bounce! You'll notice a positive difference the first time you exercise with it on.

  2. Shorts. You can not exercise in pants. You've been (trying) to do it for years. Stop, and switch to shorts. You'll be much more comfortable. I'm not talking the super short ones that barely cover your backside, I mean modest shorts of the knee-length variety. Champion sells them up to a size 28. I know, you have reasons you don't wear shorts. You have varicose veins, you're not tan, and the hair. Oh the hair. I know all about those things--I have PCOS too. Really though, who cares? You're doing this for you, not for random judgemental passersby. Shave your legs and put on some shorts. Stop worrying about what other people think.

  3. Hair Elastics.I've found that hair elastics that are made for thick hair are much better at keeping my thin PCOS hair in a ponytail. I've used the various regular and thin ones, and my hair always ended up in my face. Once I switched to the thick hair elastics (and I in no way have anything resembling thick hair), my hair stayed in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment