Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Housekeeping 101: Go Make Your Bed

If you want to get your PCOS under control, go make your bed. Laugh for a moment at the ridiculousness of this statement, and then go do it. It will help. I promise.

I truly believe that getting your external environment under control will help create order within your body as well. In my experience, PCOS throws off everything internally so everything externally tends to go as well. Step one to changing this cycle is to make your bed, every day, within an hour of when you get up.

Here are two tips to help this actually happen every day.

1) Change your bedding so that it is as easy to make as possible.

On the bed pictured above, I used to have a huge duvet with a pretty silk cover, two blankets (plus an electric blanket in the winter), sheets, 2 regular pillows, 2 large pillows with shams, and 2 smaller decorative pillows. It looked lovely, when it was made--which was rarely. So, I pared the bed down. Now there are sheets, a cotton quilt, and 2 pillows. In the winter I add an electric blanket. That's it. It doesn't look as fancy, but overall the room looks much better because I make it every day. It takes 30 seconds or less, so I don't have an excuse not to make it--even when I'm running late.

2) Do it as soon as possible after you get up.

If you make the bed soon after you wake up, there's no more thinking about it. It's done. Move on with the day. Making your bed every day does not need to occupy a big space in your mind, so don't let it. Eventually, you won't even think about it anymore and it will just happen.

So, go make your bed. You'll feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment