Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Do It For Your Children

A co-worker of mine who also struggles with her weight shared this story with me, and I found it particularly indicative of how our own struggles with weight actually affect a much larger audience than we realize.

This woman is a single mom with an 8 year old son. She works the night shift while her son sleeps at her sister's house. One morning last week, she picked up her son after work and asked him how his night went. Here is his reply, "Mom, I had the happiest dream of my entire life. You lost a lot of weight, and then we went to Disneyland and you could go on all of the rides with me. I was so happy!"

She was nearly in tears while she was relating the story. Her son's happiest dream was that she lost weight and could more fully participate in his life.

After we talked, I had the distinct impression that I have been given this time now to prepare so that I can lead a healthy life and be an example for my children later. This is not a diet, quick fix, or temporary change--it's a complete lifestyle revolution. It can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment